Friday, September 4, 2015

Mission Statement

Mission Statement: The purpose of this blog is to show the importance of the relationship between superheroes and villains. We want the readers to get a new perspective on the relationship and to believe that superheroes are required to have villains in order to be successful. Although some people feel heroes do not need a villain to display their heroism or develop a conflict, we feel otherwise. Our view demonstrates value because people should have different outlooks on this controversy. Most of the time villains are misunderstood due to the generalization the reader puts upon them and therefore, cannot be understood fully. Without villains, comics may or may not be as successful. This dispute is a controversial topic because several people don't see the value of the villain in the actual comic itself. In the end, this blog will give a better understanding of the relationship between the superhero and the super villain.

I’m Jasmine Hermosillo and I’m a seventeen year old undergraduate at Cal State University Northridge. Through my contribution to this blog, I intend to get across the importance of both superheroes and villains by referring to the popular DC comic, The Green Lantern. While focusing on “The Green Lantern”, I will often be comparing the fictional characters to real life characters and events in order to build a better understanding of their roles. I will elaborate on both the roles of the protagonists (green lanterns) and the antagonists (their multiple enemies) in hopes to persuade readers to think more deeply and positively about what their roles add to literature. Through this blog, I will be covering topics such as: why we have heroes and villains, whether we can have heroes without villains, why villains are looked at negatively, and so much more. Growing up I didn’t watch much television and was never really interested in super heroes, therefore I never really understood comic books. As an art and literature enthusiast, I am able to appreciate comics as more than just “childish fictions” and understand the deeper meaning hidden within the comics. As stated in ComicBooksToday.com “Comic books channel our thoughts to construct a better picture of how we need heroes to behave, and what limits we set upon them to handle crisis that inevitably happens”. Many people naturally correlate comic books with being a negative thing because they fail to understand how much you can get out of such a short-length, picture filled, fictional piece of literature.

Hi my name is Kayla Limphaibule and for my portion of the blog I will be focusing on the importance of the relationship between the superhero Wonder Woman and her numerous enemies. Although Wonder Woman does not have any well-known super villains that she fights alone, she does help other heroes in the Justice League conquer their enemies. One of my main focus points is to show both the femininity and strength that Wonder Woman has as she fights against these villains, who are predominantly men. I will show both the strengths and weaknesses Wonder Woman has against these villains because she is a woman. I am very interested in this topic because, since I am a woman, I think I will be able to connect better with Wonder Woman and the struggles she goes through. Wonder Woman has always been one of my favorite superheroes because she fights and battles as if she was one of the guys. This topic interests me and should interest the readers because many people do not know much about Wonder Woman other than the fact that she helps other heroes in the Justice League. I think it is exciting that Wonder Woman and her villains are finally the main topic in a discussion like this. Readers should be interested as I look into Wonder Woman’s life and see what makes her the hero she is and always has been.

My name is Logan Cantrell and I love comics, superheroes, and especially the super villains. In my parts of this blog I am going to be focused on The Flash and the villains that accompany him. I choose this particular character because this is a blog about villains, and I have never met anyone (outside the comic book scene) that can name more than three Flash villains. This may have slightly changed since the new CW Flash series that has come out, but it is still rare to find. I was always baffled by this because everyone knows The Flash, but why not his enemies. It is not like his power is particularly rare to find in comics, there are probably dozens of heroes/villains with super speed, but none evoke the same amount of recognition as the scarlet speedster (honestly how many people know about Quicksilver and Hurricane). That being said, for my portion of the blog I will be explaining the brilliance of The Flash’s villains by exploring their relationship with Flash, their backstories and why they have chosen a life of crime, and why these villains have stood the test of time. For the sake of keeping readers interested, I will refer to the pop culture version of the Flash television show that aired this year, as well as the (much better) classic comics.   

I, Oscar Cruz  will be explaining the relationship between Batman and his plethora of super villains. Most of the super villains are seen in the series of released games enforcing the previous relationships between a superhero and super villain. Batman’s super villains are extremely unique and different, although some of them appear randomly, like calendar man, they all incorporate an intriguing backstory that make them fitting enemies to Batman. All of Batman’s enemies contribute to the many characteristics of Batman’s personality and identity, mainly pertaining towards mystery, intellect, cunningness, and strength. Without super villains, Batman would disappear and Gotham City would be an eventless city lacking action, despite the occasional misdemeanor delinquent.

Links:https://sjmyles79.wordpress.com/2013/11/02/top-ten-best-supervillain-origin-stories/

http://www.dccomics.com/charactershttps://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=why%20do%20villains%20matter


No comments:

Post a Comment